Blackboard   |   BannerWeb   |   Student Email   |   Student Help Desk Staff / Faculty Email   |   Intranet   |   Sharepoint
Logo,Apply Now, Request Info Home Page - Lanier Technical CollegeApply NowRequest Information
    Skip Navigation LinksHome Page > Financial Aid > FAQs

Financial Aid

Financial Aid - Frequently Asked Questions

Select an item to expand:

Is there an income limit for HOPE assistance? [+]
click again to collapse

There is no income limit or cap for the HOPE Grant or HOPE Scholarship programs.

Must I attend full-time in order to receive financial aid benefits? [+]
click again to collapse

There is no minimum number of hours of enrollment required for HOPE program benefits. HOPE Scholarship/Grant only pays a portion of total tuition. Pell Grant awards will be adjusted each semester based on a student's actual enrollment status.

Will HOPE cover more than one program of study? [+]
click again to collapse

Effective Fall term 2004, students enrolled in diploma or certificate level programs are eligible for HOPE Grant payment for a maximum of 63 semester hours. The HOPE Grant credit hour count is retroactive to Summer Quarter 2003. The maximum HOPE Grant paid hours that will be counted each semester is 15 credit hours even if the student enrolled for more hours. The credit hour cap for HOPE Grant/Scholarship recipients is 127 semester hours of combined paid hours. The HOPE Scholarship credit hour count is retroactive to Fall Quarter 1993.

How do I check my HOPE paid hours? [+]
click again to collapse

Students can view the number of hours for which they received payment for the HOPE Grant, HOPE Scholarship & ACCEL programs by following these instructions for Viewing HOPE Paid-Hours.

How do I apply for Financial Aid? [+]
click again to collapse

Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or a Renewal FAFSA and submit it online as soon as possible AFTER January 1st and after you have submitted your taxes. Be sure to submit your FAFSA/Renewal FAFSA online in time for the Federal government and Lanier Technical College to process it (about four weeks) before your expected registration time. You must apply online by using FAFSA on the Web at Apply for financial aid at the same time, or even before, you apply for admissions into the college.

What is the Title IV School Code for Lanier Technical College? [+]
click again to collapse

Lanier Technical College’s Federal Title IV School Code is 005254. This number must be used when completing the FAFSA in order for Lanier Technical College to receive your financial aid application.

Do I need to reapply for financial aid each year? [+]
click again to collapse

Yes. If you applied with FAFSA you must re-new your FAFSA for the appropriate academic year and submit the documents that are requested by Lanier Technical College.
You must also maintain satisfactory academic progress in order to qualify for aid each term.

Can the Office of Financial Aid estimate if I am eligible for Title IV Aid? [+]
click again to collapse

No. Your eligibility is determined by your FAFSA's information you and your family supplied on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The Federal government determines your "Expected Family Contribution" (EFC) according to a formula supplied by the U.S. Congress and then forwards this information to the Office of Financial Aid. Only then can the Office of Financial Aid begin to determine the amounts of your awards.

Why do I need to complete a Verification Worksheet and submit Income Tax documents? [+]
click again to collapse

Each year, the Federal Processor selects at least 30% of the financial aid applicants to a particular school for a process called verification. The school must verify the information that the student provided on his or her FAFSA. These documents are required to verify that information. You can go to our Verification page for additional instructions and information.

Can a veteran receive both VA Benefits and federal/state financial aid? [+]
click again to collapse

It is possible, but some veterans' benefits require state aid to pay first.

How many hours must I take to be classified as a full time student? [+]
click again to collapse

12 credit hours or more is required to be considered full-time status.

What is Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)? [+]
click again to collapse

Satisfactory Academic Progress is a set of federal, state, and institutional guidelines for students receiving financial assistance. If a student fails to maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress, he/she will be placed on warning or exclusion status.

Can I appeal my SAP status if I am suspended from financial aid for failing to maintain satisfactory academic progress? [+]
click again to collapse

Students who feel they have extenuating circumstances that have contributed to their failure to maintain satisfactory academic progress may appeal the status according to the guidelines established by the Financial Aid Office. This policy can be found in the Lanier Technical College Student Handbook and Catalog or online under the Satisfactory Academic Progress section.

What happens to my financial aid status if I withdraw from school? [+]
click again to collapse

Students who withdraw from school while on financial aid may have their awards reduced. Depending upon when you withdraw from school, your awards can be reduced and you may be required to repay a specified percentage of any aid you have received in the term in which you withdrew. Check with the Financial Aid Office before withdrawing from school to see if it could have an effect on your awards.

How can I get my financial aid transferred to another school? [+]
click again to collapse

Students transferring to another institution will have to make a correction to their current year FAFSA by adding the institutions Federal School Code (005254). Students must also contact the institution and complete any necessary forms to determine eligibility.

I probably don't qualify for aid. Should I apply for aid anyway? [+]
click again to collapse

Yes. Students often think they do not qualify for aid and prevent themselves from receiving the financial assistance that is available. The Financial Aid Office offers a variety of financial aid programs with different eligibility requirements.

If I don't attend class, what happens to the PELL Grant and HOPE Awards for the semesters listed on my award letter? [+]
click again to collapse

Your award notice does list awards for the entire award year. However, if you withdraw from school, do not attend class during a particular term, or are not enrolled full-time, you cannot receive those estimated awards. Classes that are not eligible for financial aid are those you do not attend, do not make, do not start, or are not required under your current program of study.

If I moved to Georgia less than 1 year ago, can I qualify for the HOPE Grant? [+]
click again to collapse

If you graduated from high school as a non-resident of Georgia, you must prove Georgia residency for 24 months prior to the first day of classes of the school term to be considered eligible for HOPE Grant.

If I get married after I complete my application, can I change my marital status? [+]
click again to collapse

No, the student's marital status is effective for the award year as of the date the application is submitted. During the Application Renewal period for the next award year is when a student can update his/her material status.

What is an ISIR or SAR? [+]
click again to collapse

An Institutional Student Information Record (ISIR) is the processed electronic copy of a student's financial aid application. The college receives a copy of the ISIR as long as the student has listed the school code on the application. The Student Aid Report (SAR) is the processed application the student receives either in the mail or by e-mail.

How much money do I have to make to qualify for Pell Grant? [+]
click again to collapse

The income limits vary from student to student. Eligibility is based on several factors including the number of family members, number in college, and family income.

I live on my own - why do I have to include my parent's income? [+]
click again to collapse

The federal aid application requires parent's income for students who are under 24 years of age unless the student:
  • Is married
  • Has children
  • Has other dependents who receive more than half of their support from the student and live with the student
  • Has court documents of being an orphan or ward of the court
  • Is active duty military
  • Is an U.S. veteran

Can I use my Pell money in the bookstore to purchase books? [+]
click again to collapse

Yes. You can use up to $600 (if available) at Lanier Technical College‘s bookstore.

How will dropping a class affect my financial aid? [+]
click again to collapse

If the course is dropped within the No Harm/No Foul period (usually the first three days of the semester), the class is not counted for financial aid purposes.

Why can't I take classes that are not listed in my program of study? [+]
click again to collapse

According to Federal and State Regulations, HOPE Grant and PELL Grant can only cover classes required for the program of study you are enrolled in.

What is the HOPE Career Grant? [+]
click again to collapse

The HOPE Career Grant, formerly known as the Strategic Industries Workforce Development Grant, is available to HOPE Grant-qualified students who enroll in select majors specifically aligned with one of 12 industries in which there are more jobs available in Georgia than there are skilled workers to fill them. These industries have been identified as strategically important to the state’s economic growth.

Please click here for more information.
Campuses / Contact Us / Directions

© 2018 Lanier Technical College
Effective Dec. 3, 2018, Lanier Technical College's address will be: 2535 Lanier Tech Drive, Gainesville, GA 30507
Phone: 770-533-7000 | Fax: 770-531-6328
A Unit of the Technical College System of Georgia

An Equal Opportunity Institution | Disability Services | National Human Trafficking Resource Center