High School Equivalency FAQs

How much do classes and assessments cost?

Our classes are free for qualifying applicants. Testing for the high school equivalency exams are arranged through private testing companies, but we do offer these tests at many of our site locations. For updated pricing of the GED, visit https://www.ged.com and for the HiSET, visit https://hiset.ets.org.

The GED® and HiSET® Tests are acknowledged across the nation. It is best to check with the college of your choice to determine its entrance requirements so that you can meet the necessary prerequisites.

Yes, this happens quite frequently. Your instructor will assist you with needed information to make such decisions.

Daycare is available at the Wimberly Center at our Barrow County Adult Education site. No other location provides day care for students, but each of the centers has a list of community resources that would probably meet your needs. Possibly a church in the area, the Head Start program, the Ninth District Opportunity, or others might be beneficial. Daycare may be provided at some off-site locations. Please contact the center nearest you regarding what is available in your area.

Lanier Technical College strongly recommends an assessment be taken prior to registration for the GED® or HiSET® test. The TABE assessment test pinpoints a potential and current student’s academic strengths and weaknesses. It assists the teacher in making recommendations about a course of study with the idea of saving the student’s time and money.

The TABE is a diagnostic tool that is administered much as a physician administers a physical exam – to have a picture of a person’s needs and strengths and to measure a person’s progress. The TABE is given when a student enters the program so that the instructor may know what needs the student has. The survey form of the TABE is given quarterly to measure the student’s progress. If the student has been absent from the program for more than six months, the full TABE should be re-administered.

The term underage-youth refers to a student who is 16 or 17 years of age. State permission is required to allow these students to test for the GED®.

The following forms are required for all 16- and 17-year-olds in order to register for the GED® or HiSET® test:

  • Parental permission
  • Letter of Withdrawal (This form must contain original signatures and a raised school seal.) It is advised that signatures be in blue ink.
  • A copy of the student’s state or federal identification (i.e., driver’s license, passport, or pedestrian ID)

Yes. You can obtain a form from the county board of education stating you are not enrolled in a school in the county. This form must have an original signature and an official raised seal.

The GED® and HiSET® tests are given on computers at approved testing centers.  If you have the proper equipment, online testing may be offered by the individual testing companies.

Yes, we have a Transition Coordinator available to help you with the process of entering postsecondary education. There are also training opportunities available to qualifying students while studying for their high school equivalency diploma.