Financial Aid FAQ’s

How do I apply for Financial Aid (including grants, work study, and HOPE)?

To apply for most types of Financial Aid (Pell Grant, HOPE, Work-study, etc.) complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at

Lanier Technical College’s Federal Title IV School Code is 005254. This number must be used when completing the FAFSA in order for Lanier Technical College to receive your financial aid application.

Once the Financial Aid Office has received the necessary documents, processing time varies from 3 -14 days depending on whether the application is chosen for verification, type of aid requested, and program of study.

No. Your eligibility is determined by your FAFSA’s information you and your family supplied on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The Federal government determines your “Expected Family Contribution” (EFC) according to a formula supplied by the U.S. Congress and then forwards this information to the Office of Financial Aid. Only then can the Office of Financial Aid begin to determine the amounts of your awards.

There are two options to view what financial aid you have been awarded. Log into your BannerWeb account, choose the link Student Services & Financial Aid, then choose Financial Aid, then choose My Award Information, then choose select an aid year, and finally click on Award Overview. You can also go the “Pay Online” link on the LTC Bannerweb and it will show the aid listed there as well.

State awards that are funded by the Georgia Lottery, which include the HOPE Grant/Scholarship, Zell Miller Grant/Scholarship, and the HOPE Career Grant, are awarded based on enrollment of 15 credit hours or more and will be prorated if you will be enrolled less than 15 credit hours. Hope Career Grant-You must remain eligible for HOPE/Zell Grant to receive Hope Career Grant funding and be enrolled in a Hope Career Grant eligible program. Hope/ZELL Scholarship evaluations are completed as students register for classes.

Each semester a report is generated that reflects students who are registered and in an AAS or AS program. Then that report is reviewed and students are notified. The report is completed in a first come – first serve manner.

There is no income limit for the state programs.

State programs pay per credit hour, therefore you do not need to be full time to receive financial aid.

Federal programs pay by less-than half time, half time, three quarters time, and full time. Therefore, you do not need to be full time to receive financial aid.

Effective Fall term 2004, students enrolled in diploma or certificate level programs are eligible for HOPE Grant payment for a maximum of 63 semester hours. The HOPE Grant credit hour count is retroactive to Summer Quarter 2003. The maximum HOPE Grant paid hours that will be counted each semester is 15 credit hours even if the student enrolled for more hours.

The credit hour cap for HOPE Grant/Scholarship recipients is 127 semester hours of combined paid hours. The HOPE Scholarship credit hour count is retroactive to Fall Quarter 1993.

For the purposes of Pell, LTC operates on a two term disbursement schedule. This means that a student’s full Pell Grant Award is divided into two disbursements. Any remaining funds are available for disbursement in the Summer Semester.  Students who are enrolled for at least 12 credit hours BOTH Fall and Spring Terms are strongly encouraged to save a portion of any financial aid refund to help cover the cost of Summer Semester.  If a student is not enrolled for at least 12 credit hours BOTH Fall and Spring Term, they should have a portion of their annual Pell Grant award available to disburse for the Summer Semester. If a student has been enrolled in at least 12 credit hours both fall and spring semester, they must be enrolled in at least 6 credit hours in order to receive an additional Pell Grant award for the summer semester. Enrollment status determines the amount of Pell Grant funds awarded each semester. Please note that not all students will receive the maximum Pell Grant award. The award amounts are determined by the Department of Education, the number of enrollment hours, and other various factors.

A quick and easy way to complete your FAFSA, the IRS Retrieval Tool will allow students and parents to securely transfer their income and tax information directly from the IRS and input it into the FAFSA. As you complete your FAFSA online, you will be asked a series of questions regarding your tax filing status. If you are eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, you will enter your PIN and click Link to IRS. Your FAFSA information will be saved and you’ll be linked to the IRS website. On the IRS website simply enter the required information to validate your identity. Your tax return information will be displayed and you will be given the option to transfer your tax information into your FAFSA. Once the transfer has been completed you will be taken back to FAFSA on the Web to finalize your FAFSA.

The U.S. Department of Education randomly selects FAFSA’s for verification. This means that our Financial Aid Office must request certain documents to verify the accuracy of the information listed on the FAFSA. You will not be eligible for aid until this process is complete.

Students are notified by the Department of Education in their Student Aid Report (SAR) if they are chosen for verification. The LTC Financial Aid Office will also contact the student to request specific documents, such as, tax transcripts and verification worksheets. Other documentation may be required depending on the information listed on the FAFSA.

If additional documentation is required to complete a student’s financial aid file, a student will receive an email to their student account, if the email has been created and set up. Students can also check their Unsatisfied Requirements in BannerWeb. Student Services & Financial Aid> Financial Aid > My Eligibility > Student Requirements > Select Aid Year.

The IRS Tax Return Transcript is basically the IRS’ copy of your tax return. If you are unsure what an IRS Tax Return Transcript is, view sample IRS Tax Return Transcript (can you hyperlink this example:

Students may drop classes in BannerWeb until the end of the drop/add period each semester.  The last day of drop/add of each semester is the last day to drop for a full refund of tuition and fees.

After the drop/add period ends, the student may withdraw from classes through their BannerWeb. It is also recommended that the student consult with his or her Financial Aid advisor to determine what financial consequences may apply prior to withdrawing from the course.

Lanier Technical College has partnered with BankMobile®, to provide refunds to all Lanier Technical College students. Please direct any BankMobile questions to our Business Office at

Yes. If you applied with FAFSA you must re-new your FAFSA for the appropriate academic year and submit the documents that are requested by Lanier Technical College.

You must also maintain satisfactory academic progress in order to qualify for aid each term.

It is possible, but some veterans’ benefits require state aid to pay first.

12 credit hours or more is required to be considered full-time status.

Satisfactory Academic Progress is a set of federal, state, and institutional guidelines for students receiving financial assistance. If a student fails to maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress, he/she will be placed on warning or exclusion status. View the Policy.

Students who feel they have extenuating circumstances that have contributed to their failure to maintain satisfactory academic progress may appeal the status according to the guidelines established by the Financial Aid Office. Click View the Policy.

Students who withdraw from school while on financial aid may have their awards reduced. Depending upon when you withdraw from school, your awards can be reduced and you may be required to repay a specified percentage of any aid you have received in the term in which you withdrew. Check with the Financial Aid Office before withdrawing from school to see if it could have an effect on your awards.

Students transferring to another institution will have to make a correction to their current year FAFSA by adding the institutions Federal School Code (005254). Students must also contact the institution and complete any necessary forms to determine eligibility.

Yes. Students often think they do not qualify for aid and prevent themselves from receiving the financial assistance that is available. The Financial Aid Office offers a variety of financial aid programs with different eligibility requirements.

Your award notice does list awards for the entire award year. However, if you withdraw from school, do not attend class during a particular term, or are not enrolled full-time, you cannot receive those estimated awards. This applies to classes that are not eligible for financial aid, those you do not attend, do not make, do not start, or are not required under your current program of study.

If you graduated from high school as a non-resident of Georgia, you must prove Georgia residency for 24 months prior to the first day of classes of the school term to be considered eligible for State Aid.

No, the student’s marital status is effective for the award year as of the date the application is submitted. During the Application Renewal period for the next award year is when a student can update his/her marital status.

An Institutional Student Information Record (ISIR) is the processed electronic copy of a student’s financial aid application. The college receives a copy of the ISIR as long as the student has listed the school code on the application. The Student Aid Report (SAR) is the processed application the student receives either in the mail or by e-mail.

The income limits vary from student to student. Eligibility is based on several factors including the number of family members, number in college, and family income.

The federal aid application requires parent’s income for students who are under 24 years of age unless the student:

  • Is married
  • Has children
  • Has other dependents who receive more than half of their support from the student and live with the student
  • Has court documents of being an orphan or ward of the court
  • Is active duty military
  • Is an U.S. veteran

Yes, you can use your PELL refund (if available) at Lanier Technical College’s Bookstore.

Students who choose to not use this option will receive any Title IV (federal aid) disbursement(s) within U.S. Department of Education’s guidelines—within the same timeframe as students who do charge against their aid in the bookstores. We recommend that students charge against their aid in the bookstores, as eligible, as to be best prepared for classes – helping to ensure success.

If the course is dropped within the No Harm/No Foul (Drop/Add) period (usually the first three days of the semester), the class is not counted for financial aid purposes.

According to Federal and State Regulations, HOPE and PELL Grant can only cover classes required for the program of study you are enrolled in.

The HOPE Career Grant, formerly known as the Strategic Industries Workforce Development Grant, is available to HOPE Grant-qualified students who enroll in select majors specifically aligned with industries in which there are more jobs available in Georgia than there are skilled workers to fill them. These industries have been identified as strategically important to the state’s economic growth.

Visit Hope Career Grant for more information.